Video of Kola in Police Station before been arraigned at Magistrate Court Sapele road , Benin, Edo state.
We the undersigned Human Rights Community in Edo State condemned in very strong terms the commando-like style arrest of a prominent Human Rights Activist “Marxist Kola Edokpayi” at instigation of the Commissioner of Police, Edo State, C.P Haliru Gwandu. We further condemn the spurious and orchestrated Charge that Marxist Kola Edokpayi had instigated the invasion of Nigeria with a group of intellectuals some of who are foreigners to invade the NPDC office in Benin City, Edo State Government House Complex, Edo State House of Assembly with a threat to use the military wing of the Benin Solidarity Movement to lunch attack on Uroho, Obayantor, Ajoki, Kolokolo, Ajemongha, Abiola, Ajakitou and Ikara Oil Producing Communities all in Edo State. _We now hereby state as follows:__
(1) That Marxist Kola Edokpayi is a foremost Civil/Human Rights Activist whose contributions to the social movement in Nigeria is Evident in the numerous interventions in human rights issues and in defense of the poor and vulnerable in our Society.
(2) That this arrest of Marxist Kola Edokpayi is the latest in the efforts of the political establishments using security agencies to emasculate the social movement in Edo State.
(3) That the Civil/Human rights Community in Edo State believes in the rule of law and the inviolability of the rights of the average Edo person and we continue to agitate and engage authorities for it sustenance.
(4) That the demand for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is globally accepted as the norm in the quest for the overall sustainable development, equity and justice and such demand cannot be criminalized under the guise of treason.
(5) That the arrest of Marxist Kola Edokpayi cannot be unconnected with the proposed meeting of the Civil Society Community in Edo State scheduled for Wednesday 17th May, 2017 with the main agenda: Curbing the oppressive and extortive tendencies of the Police in Edo State and a proposed mass action. Meanwhile, we hereby resolve to vehemently insist on the triumph of the rule of law which we have always upheld and canvassed.
We accordingly urge the Edo State Government, the Inspector General of Police to urgently call the Edo State Commissioner of Police to order so as to discourage the culture of impunity and the resort to self help in Edo State and further implore them to take responsibility for the continued safety of Marxist Kola Edokpayi, his family and other human rights activists that are currently under harassment and intimidation.
Rev. David Ugolor African Network for Environment and Economic Justice (ANEEJ) Comrade Austin Osakue Foundation for Good Governance and Social Change. Rev. Olu Martins Canvassers for Democracy and Rule of Law. Abraham Oviawe Esq. Network of Civil Society Organizations of Nigeria (NOCSON